Thursday, July 17, 2014

SUDDENLY

So there's this thing that no one really tells you about when you're young....

No one really tells you about growing up.

It happens slowly. So slowly, in fact, you're not even sure when it's happening.

I also think it has a lot to do with what you find interesting--what you want to spend your time doing.

For example, if you'd asked me three years ago what the top five things I'd most likely be doing were, the list would probably look something like this:

1) Getting dolled up to go out with my friends
2) Going on dates
3) Figuring out how to set up the table I revamped from a garage sale to seat more than three people
4) Wondering who in the world was going to hire me as a teacher
5) Convincing myself that it is completely healthy and appropriate to have cereal for every meal of the day.

Now? Life is different. VERY different. When you leave college, you assume that you know it all. You've learned most of what there is to learn and now you're an adult. You assume that who you are at that moment is who you'll inevitably be for the rest of your life.

Wrong.

That is wrong.

That is just the start.

For me, who I was when I graduated college three years ago was the jumping off point. I am not that person anymore. I don't dress the same, I am less selfish, I've learned how to properly clean my house and keep it that way, I have grown up furniture that is now considered "an investment for my future", I have a two year old dog, I've worked somewhere long enough to make a change, and I've met the love of my life with whom I will share my future.

All of this in the past three years. But my point is...when did it happen and how didn't I notice it?

I sat down on my couch the other day and I couldn't help but look around the home that I had built and think "When did it happen? How did I not notice the fact that I'm a grown up now? I am a woman. I am no longer a girl. I have moved past Britney Spears's iconic song and have become an adult."

So...what are the top five things I'm most likely to be found doing now?

1) Hanging out with my family and soaking up every minute.
2) Spending time with Dino at home--our dog beside us on the couch.
3) Running or doing Yoga because after 25 bodies need some extra attention
4) Cleaning my house because I care what it looks like and I care what state we live in
5) Making plans for the future in any and all capacities

No comments:

Post a Comment